Built Up Roofing (BUR) is one of the oldest and most reliable commercial roofing systems for low-slope or “flat” roof structures. Commonly referred to as “tar and gravel” roofs, BUR consists of layers or plies of roofing felts, between which asphalt or bitumen is applied. Its multiple layers provide added protection and perform well in punishing weather conditions. Built-up roofs are especially resistant to damage from wind, hail and extreme sun.
Benefits of Built-up Roofing Systems:
- BUR surfacing materials can be coated with paint or other reflective materials to reduce the effects of UV radiation. These coatings provide the additional benefit of reducing cooling and heating costs.
- They are easy to repair and ideally suited for applications requiring a high level of redundancy.
- Proven track record of performance
- Available as part of a fire, wind, and/or hail rated roofing system
- Superior waterproofing characteristics
- Long-term warranties are available with many BUR systems